Moving from Quebec City to Toronto at Best Rates
Are you thinking about moving from Quebec City to Toronto? If so, you’re in for a treat. Whether you’re moving for work or school or just because you’ve always wanted to live in that big city by the lake, moving across the country can be exciting but stressful at the same time.
You have plenty to think about during this process: packing your things up and transporting them, getting settled once they arrive at their new home, and figuring out how much all of this will cost. But there are also some steps you should take before packing up your life and making the big move across Canada.
In this article our expert long-distance movers from Déménagement Total will go over everything from how to choose a good moving company to how exactly one builds an inventory list (and what that even means). We’ll also talk about the importance of labeling everything correctly with color-coded stickers (don’t worry—it’s not as hard as it sounds).
By following these simple tips when planning an upcoming long distance move from Quebec City to Toronto or anywhere else in Canada, we’ll help make sure everything goes simply and smoothly!
Check Out Your Quebec to Toronto Moving Options
Moving from Quebec City to Toronto is a big endeavor, and you’ll certainly want to do your research before hiring a long-distance moving company. Here are some things you should look for when contemplating your options:
- Reputation. Check out the company’s reputation online and read reviews from past customers. Does the company have any history of problems? If so, what were they?
- Reliability. Find out how reliable they are by asking around or checking with long-distance movers in both Quebec City and Toronto. Read reviews online from various sources to get a sense of whether or not this long-distance moving company is reliable. The more positive feedback you get on this front, the better!
- Insurance coverage. Some companies offer insurance coverage while others charge extra fees for their services; ask about their policies before selecting one that suits your needs best.
Work with Top Long-Distance Movers in Canada
Once you’ve found the best long-distance moving company for you, you need to do a few things.
- Get a detailed estimate if moving from Quebec City to Toronto. This entails filling out a detailed form of everything that needs to be moved. Including large items like pianos, hot tubs or even vehicles. Your long-distance moving company may even be able to send out long-distance movers to your property to accurately assess the situation. This will be done to give you an extremely detailed and accurate estimate of costs so there will be no bad surprises at the end.
- Find out which services the movers from Quebec City to Toronto offer. Things like professional packing and unpacking, furniture takedown and reassembly, garbage or recycle removal, storage options, etc. Oftentimes bundling services can result in saving costs.
- Get everything in writing. Most reputable long-distance movers from Quebec City to Toronto will give you a detailed invoice, outlining all the services and costs associated with your move. This gives you clarity on what you are being charged for. There should never be any uncertainties if you’ve picked the right long-distance moving company.
Make A List of What You Need to Pack
Once you’ve decided on a long-distance moving company, you will need to start the packing process. But first! Make a list of what you need to pack in the event of moving from Quebec City to Toronto.
- Decide on a colour-coding system for your boxes and labeling system for their contents. I used red tape for clothes, blue tape for food or kitchen supplies, yellow tape for linens/towels and green tape for miscellaneous items like cleaning supplies or toiletries.
- Label your boxes accurately! I made sure that every box had my name clearly printed on the top so it would be easy to tell whose things were in each one when they arrived at our new apartment in Toronto. Knowing who packed everything will also help us later when we have to unpack them (more on this later).
Decide on A Color-Coding System
Your first step is to colour-code your belongings. Color coding can be a helpful way to usually organize things, and it can also help you decide what needs to go where as you pack up for your move.
Use a different colour for each item/room/special attention category; this will make unpacking easier when you arrive in Toronto! You might want to start with:
- Personal items (pens, books, trinkets, art, etc.) – yellow
- Kitchen utensils – green
- Bathroom toiletries – blue
- Clothes (excluding shoes) – red
- Shoes- brown
The last things should be packed are the things that need special attention or care during transport–like antiques or fragile materials like fine China.
These items should have their own special colour code so that they’re always given extra care when moving from Quebec City to Toronto!
Decide on A Labeling System
There are several labeling systems that you can use to label your belongings while moving from Quebec City to Toronto, but we recommend one that is:
- easy to read (Use large, clear font- no handwriting)
- easy to apply (Use a tape that comes off the roll easily). You don’t need the added hassle of trying to struggle with tape.
You should also consider the possibility that your labels may come off during the move. If this happens and you don’t know what box a particular item is in, it could end up lost forever!
Label Your Boxes Accurately
When moving from Quebec City to Toronto, you may be feeling overwhelmed with all of the work that needs to be done, but there are a few things that will make this process much easier for you. Label your boxes accurately!
Label your boxes with what room they belong in and not just “bedroom” or “kitchen”. Make sure that each box has its own label so it will be easy for others to put away when they arrive at their destination.
For example, if there are two children in your household name Sara and Joe. Sara’s boxes should say “Sara bedroom # 1, Sara bedroom # 2, Sara closet # 3…etc.” The same for the other members of your family.
This way, when someone opens up their bedroom closet or looks inside their drawers, they don’t have to guess where any specific item belongs because everything has been labeled correctly!
Pick the Best Packing Material You Can Afford
If you are moving from Quebec City to Toronto and are looking for a good packing material, there are many great options. Paper is a great option to wrap smaller, more easily broken things like jewelry and glassware. Bubble wrap, packing peanuts and foam can be used to protect larger items like furniture.
Blankets work well for fragile objects such as vases and mirrors; dish towels can help absorb some of the shock from dropping or bumping into things while they’re in transit.
Old clothes make excellent padding between breakable objects, while newspapers can soak up any accidents that do happen during shipping without breaking anything else in your box.
Towels will keep everything dry when it’s raining outside, bedding will keep your clothes clean after being packed away for who knows how long… And don’t forget shoes!
Electronics are definitely worth protecting with bubble wrap—especially if you plan on keeping them plugged into an outlet during transport—and books are another thing that shouldn’t come into contact with water at all costs (just ask any bookworm!).
Get Rid of the Stuff That Isn’t Worth Moving
- Donate the stuff that you don’t need if moving from Quebec City to Toronto. Think about where you’ll be living after the move and whether or not it’s a good fit for your donations. There are many nonprofits in Toronto and Quebec City so you can always find the place with the greatest need and consider donating to them.
- Sell any items that aren’t worth moving, but aren’t worth selling as-is (for example, broken furniture). You can sell these items on Craigslist or at an antique store.
- Get rid of hazardous items like paint, old medicine and cleaning supplies by contacting your local authority for instructions on how to properly dispose of them. You may have to pay a fee or even pay someone else to dispose of these things properly so be sure they’re safe before getting rid of them!
- Get rid of anything that isn’t yours—You may have borrowed a lawnmower from your neighbour or have other random things you’ve forgotten to give back to their owner over the years. Moving is the perfect time to get right everything you don’t need.
Take Pictures of Your Items and Make An Inventory List
As you are packing up your home, it’s important to make a record of what you’re moving. You will need this list when you get to your new place so that you can unpack properly, and if there are any items missing in transit, this may help the movers locate them.
You can use the inventory in different ways:
- Make an inventory list of all items that are being moved. This should include both fixed and portable furniture pieces, electronics (iPads, laptops etc.) as well as kitchenware, clothing and other miscellaneous items such as books or knickknacks when moving from Quebec City to Toronto. It’s also important to note whether these things have been packed away by a professional mover or if they’re still packed in boxes (in which case those boxes should be photographed).
- Take photos of your valuables. The reason why it’s so important is because once your belongings arrive at their destination, they might not look like they did when taken out of storage—some might have suffered from water damage due to leaking pipes etc. when boxes were stored in the basement, or perhaps they were damaged during transport. Whatever the reason, taking photos before packing them away helps prevent any potential confusion later down the road when trying to prove damage. This step protects both the mover and the customer.
It is important to do everything right when you’re moving from Quebec City to Toronto
Moving from Quebec City to Toronto is a big step, especially if you haven’t done it before. There are so many things you need to think about and plan for, from your finances and employment situation to the logistics of moving day itself.
If you do everything right, though—and we’re sure you will—you’ll save time and money in the long run. If not…well…the last thing we want is for anyone’s sanity to be compromised over this move!
So how can we avoid all those mistakes? Let us help! We’ve compiled some tips below that should ensure a smooth transition when moving from Quebec City to Toronto.
Quebec City to Toronto Moving Company
Moving from Quebec City to Toronto is a big decision, so it’s important to be prepared. The moving process might seem daunting, but don’t worry! Follow our great tips and your move will be a piece of cake! Call us now or get a quote right away!