How to Plan A Successful Move: Local or Long-Distance
If you’re planning a move, whether it’s across town or across the country, you need to be organized. There are many things to consider when moving, and if you don’t plan properly, your move could be a disaster.
In this article, we will discuss how to plan a successful move (local or long-distance). Déménagement Total, one of the best moving companies in Montreal, will cover everything from packing tips to budgeting advice. So read on for helpful tips on how to make your next move a success!
The first thing you need to do when planning a local or long-distance move is to figure out your budget. Moving can be expensive, so you’ll need to know how much money you have to work with. Once you have a budget in mind, you can start looking for moving companies or renting a truck. Get quotes from several different companies so that you can find the best price for the best service.
Tips for Finding the Best Local or Long-Distance Moving Company
There are a lot of moving companies out there. In fact, there are so many of them it can become overwhelming to sift through them all. But it is imperative that you start researching local and long-distance movers thoroughly as there are some scam companies out there looking to take advantage of unknowing customers.
Here are a few tips to help you find the best of the best long-distance and local movers:
● Check out their website and social media accounts. What are the values of this long-distance or local moving company? Do they have a mission statement? What can you learn about them from reading their website? How long have they been in business? What services do they provide? These are all great questions to find answers to when choosing the best moving company while planning a successful move.
● Read through customers reviews on third party websites like Yelp or Google. Obviously, it’s impossible to have perfect reviews 100% of the time, so read through the different ratings. Are the majority of their ratings 4 or 5 out of 5? Read through some of the 3 reviews and the comments as this is a sign of satisfactory service. Do you notice a common theme in the reviews? Or are the negative reviews one-offs? By doing this you will start to see a picture emerge of the type of service these moving companies provide.
● Choose your top 3 picks and get an estimate from each of them. Once you receive the estimate, look at 3 things. What services are included in the price? Which long-distance or short distance moving company has the best ratings? Which company did you get the best vibe from? Trusting your instincts when selecting local or long-distance movers is more important than you’d believe.
Once you’ve selected the best moving company, you need to decide which services you want included in your move.
Top Moving Services
Déménagement Total offers many services for customers making a long-distance or local successful move. Some of these services are as follows:
● Packing and unpacking services. Our local movers will come into your home with professional quality moving materials, such as strong boxes of all sizes, packing tape, bubble wrap, paper, blankets, moving pads, etc. for your long-distance successful move. They will meticulously pack up your items and load the truck, then unload and unpack your things in your new home.
● Furniture assembly. Our local movers will carefully disassemble your furniture and wrap with blankets or moving pads and secure it with plastic wrap. This protects your things during transport and guarantees a successful move. Then, once in your new place, our local trusted movers will reassemble your furniture and you’ll never know they were taken apart in the first place.
● Garbage and recycle. When the long-distance total movers finish the move, they can break apart all boxes and recycle them and remove any trash from your home as well.
● Our Montreal movers can also offer storage options for customers who are moving but need to store some items. We have our own storage facilities and can easily pick up your things and store them safely for you for as long as you need when making a local or a long-distance successful move.
● Vehicle transport. If you are making a long-distance move and need to transport your vehicle along with your successful move, we have professional drivers who can handle this task for you.
Getting Ready for Your Local or Long-Distance Successful Move
Once you’ve picked the best moving company and decided on the services you are wanting to take advantage of, it’s time to get your house ready for the move, whether it’s a local move or a long-distance relocation.
The first thing you are going to want to do is to start getting rid of things you no longer need or use. Things like clothes, toys, books, sports equipment, expired items, and old furniture, just to name a few. Our local movers suggest you go room to room to not get too overwhelmed.
You have 3 choices when it comes to getting rid of things in your home:
1. Can I sell it?
2. Can I give it away?
3. Is it garbage?
You’d be surprised how much money people can make from selling their old items. After all, one man’s trash may be another man’s treasure. Some things you don’t want to put the time and effort into selling, so you can give them away to a donation center.
Things like winter coats and hats and mitts are always in high demand. You can also call a non-profit organization to see if they are looking for used things. Sometimes they will even come by to pick up your donations, saving you a trip. There are some personal items that unfortunately cannot be sold or given away. Things like undergarments or items that are broken, damaged or no longer working. Contact your local dump to find out if it’s safe to throw your items away or if they can be brought to a recycle centre or salvage yard.
The next thing you want to do to get ready for your local or long-distance successful move is to clean your place. Refrigerators and other kitchen appliances need to be cleaned thoroughly when making a long-distance or local move.
Fill your sink or a bucket with warm, soapy water, throw on some rubber gloves and get to work. Scrub inside and out every object to ensure all the dust, grease, grime, and food residue is cleaned up. Use a variety of sponges, and other cleaning materials to get these items looking like new. Move on to the bathrooms and repeat the process.
It may seem counterproductive but vacuum your floors and carpets and wash the floors before the movers arrive. The reason for this is that while moving your furniture, you do not want any dirt or debris on the floors as this can cause damage to your floors when moving super heavy objects over it.
The best moving company (having the best approach for ensuring a successful move) will bring mats or runners to put down on the floors to help keep them clean during your long-distance move. So, if you luck out, you won’t have to vacuum and wash the floors again after everything has been moved by your long-distance movers.
Communication for A Successful Move
Make sure you have booked off your moving day with work. Don’t leave that to the last minute. Also, make sure you confirm with the moving company about a week before the move to ensure everything is going forward as planned for your successful move.
If you live in an apartment, make sure you’ve informed the landlord of your moving date, and book the use of the elevators if needed. If you live in a busy neighbourhood and have many people parking in front of your home on a regular basis, purchase some small parking cones. Put them in place the night before your move to ensure there will be a place for the long-distance movers to park their moving truck.
These are just small, often overlooked tips that can help make your long-distance or local move a successful move.
Get Started Sooner Than Later
If you know you have to move, don’t put off getting started. Begin researching moving companies as soon as you know the move out date. Check out the best moving company in Montreal, in the province of Quebec and in Canada and give Déménagement Total a call or click on the link to get your free quote for a successful move.